Athletic Trainer - Physician Extender
Bachelors degree in Athletic Training or related field
3+ years full-time experience in a sports medicine or therapeutic or athletic training environment
NATA certified, and current Illinois licensure or eligible
Strong communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
Basic computer knowledge in spreadsheet and word processing.
Job Description :
The Athletic Trainer - Physician Extender will collaborate with other health care disciplines in order to provide quality and continuity of care. The Sports Medicine Physician Extender provides direct and indirect care under the supervision and direction of a Sports Medicine Provider.
A. (80%) Physician Extender:
1. Consistently prepares patients for exams and treatments physically and mentally, including appropriately rooming patients, obtaining patient history, performing physical exam, and presenting case information to the physician.
2. Fully capable of assisting primary care sports medicine physician with all procedures and treatments.
3. Develops and instructs patients in individual Home Exercise Programs (HEP) including initial visit, return visit and/or all phone call follow-up activities.
4. Provides individual instruction and education on return-to-sports.
5. Consistently encourages questions from patients and family and offers supervised guidance that fosters adherence with provider’s plan of treatment.
6. Measures, fits, and modifies braces, including custom braces
7. Administers gait training with assistive devices.
8. Orders radiology tests, lab tests, or referrals under direction of provider.
9. Reports on patient complaints or concerns.
10. Explains procedures and test results using language appropriate to patient's level of understanding guided by department protocols or documentation/instructions.
11. Serves as an advocate and liaison between patients, staff, providers, and external customers by sharing necessary information to ensure continuity of care.
12. Be open to learning/performing additional orthopedic technical requirements such as cast application/removal, post-op dressing applications/changes, suture removal, staple removal, and familiarity with injection preparations and procedures.
13. Provides consistent and accurate documentation of patient information, care, patient histories, mechanisms of injury, progress notes, and concerns in the EMR according to the guidelines provided in the Documentation Policy and as otherwise instructed.
14. Documents instructions provided to coaches, patients and/or parents in regards to return to sports, home activities, and limitations in the EMR.
15. Demonstrates flexibility by performing additional duties
16. Develops patient education material.
B. (20%) Professional Development and Responsibilities
1. Demonstrates commitment to continuously learn and develop both professionally and personally, and facilitates the professional growth and development of staff.
2. The sports medicine physician extender shall remain a member in good standing of the National Athletic Trainers Association at all times and must provide care consistent with the Illinois Athletic Trainers Practice Act and the policies and procedures of Dreyer Medical Clinic.
3. Covers schools or venues in order to meet the contractual obligations of the department and any special events.
4. Participates in continuous improvement initiatives.
5. Establishes and achieves the goals and objectives set forth for sports medicine at Dreyer Medical Clinic.
Flexible hours, 7am-7pm, may evolve to weekend coverage or evening coverage.
Dreyer Medical Clinic is a busy, multi-specialty, ambulatory clinic with over 85 years of experience serving the families and individuals of the Fox Valley region.
Please apply online at www.dreyermed.com/jobs
Select Medical Corporation/NovaCare Rehabilitation-IL
Onsite Industrial Athletic Trainer
- NATA/BOC Certified Athletic Trainer & Licensed in the State of IL
- Flexible early morning hours (7am-11am) 3x/week (Spring/Summer 2010)
- Available to start-immediately until 8.26.2010-TBD
- This part-time position will be on site performing on-the-job-observation at a Rockford, IL Utility-Training Facility. (90% standing-outside-with these observations)
- This position is for a motivated, out-going, and energetic person who is comfortable with large group presentations.
- The NovaCare-onsite-Athletic Trainer will work with (1)-Utility-Instructor and (2)-demonstrators that will assist the ATC in understanding the job of as well as the Safety and Injury Prevention goals at the Utility Company.
- This position will require the person to be onsite performing mini-observations, disseminating injury prevention to student/trainees on all job tasks for (3-4/hours per day).
- Mini-presentations will be presented by the ATC--daily to the crew based on these observations.
- The topics will relate to basic stretching and injury prevention, hydration for the Trainees.
- There will be minor record keeping for daily attendance, reporting of injuries and basic injury prevention advice given to the students.
- These Trainees will be preparing for jobs as over-head lineman in the Chicago & Illinois area...
- Communicate injuries with the OHS team and the NovaCare -Work Strategies Manager.
- This part-time job rate/hr-- $25.00-$30.00/hour
- The Report times are (3x/week) for (3-4-hrs/day) – 7:00am to 11:00am (mornings only & no weekends)
- This job is ideal for any Certified Athletic Trainer, who lives in or near the Rockford, IL area with summer flexibility.
Please send resume and cover letter:
John C. Sweeney, ATC, CEAS
NovaCare Work Strategies Manager email@example.com
Hinsdale Orthopaedics Sports Performance Insitute
Title: Athletic Training Resident
• Completed Physician Extender Residency Application
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Undergraduate transcripts
• 2 letters of recommendation
• Proof of certification or copy of registration for the BOC exam before May of the Residency year. Applicants must have passed the BOC exam and be a certified Athletic Trainer before beginning the Residency program.
• Proof of Illinois Athletic Trainers’ Licensure or copy of completed application forms. Applicants must attain an Illinois Athletic Trainers’ License before beginning the Residency program.
• CPR/AED Certification
• Accepted applicants must register for the Orthopaedic Technologist (OT) certification exam before the deadline (end of April) for the June exam of the Residency year. Residents must pass the OT exam to participate in the surgical assist portion of the Residency program
Duties: Dr. Chudik’s Athletic Training Residency/Career Development Program is an educational program to prepare Athletic Trainers for careers as Physician Extenders. The Residency Program is endorsed by the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) and is funded by the Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Teaching and Research Foundation (OTRF). This one year program was created to allow Athletic Trainers to expand their education, improve their clinical evaluation skills, increase their knowledge as an allied health care professional, and interact with Orthopaedic Surgeons. Other opportunities include assisting in surgery, conducting research, developing patient education materials, and participating in community outreach.
*Contact Brian or Katie (information below) for a specific job description.
Additional Info: Across the country, it is becoming more common for Athletic Trainers to work as Physician Extenders along side with Orthopaedic Surgeons in the clinic and the operating room. Unfortunately, there have been few educational opportunities for athletic trainers to attain the skills and training necessary to work in this role. For the last several years, Dr. Chudik has been providing this type of educational opportunity for Athletic Trainers, and now, with assistance of the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) and the Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Teaching and Research Foundation (OTRF), he has organized a 1 year Residency with both a clinical and surgical experience for Athletic Trainers.
Full time position
OT certification (paid for)
Contact Info: For more information/application, please contact :
Brian Amundson, PA-C
Katie Dastych, ATC, OTC
Weil Foot & Ankle Institute
Title: Clinical Assistant/ Physician Extender
Requirements: NATABOC Certified, Illinois licensed or eligible. Clinical Experience is a plus. Advanced knowledge of foot and ankle is required. Reliable transportation for travel to satellite offices per assigned podiatrist.
This position requires a highly motivated individual with a commitment to excellence. This is a full time position
Duties: Day to day clinical responsibilities of a large multi-physician sports medicine,podiatric and surgical practice. Patient scheduling,X-Rays,charting casting and assisting with clinical podiatric procedures. Preparing molds and /or scanning procedures for orthotics. Working directly under the podiatrist in all aspects of the practice.
Additional Info: The Weil Foot & Ankle Institute is one of the largest Podiatric Medicine practices in the United States. Physicians within the Institute provide care to a number of professional teams including The Chicago White Sox, Chicago Fire and the Chicago Bulls. This position is a benefits eligible as a part of your employment.
Contact Info: Pleae email resumes to:
Lawrence Scire MS, ATC
Weil Foot & Ankle Institute
1455 Golf Road
DesPlaines, Illinois 60016
(847) 390-7666, Fax (847) 390-9345
Email: lscire@Weil4feet.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: Certifired Athletic Trainer
Requirements: NATA-BOC certified
Functional Capacity Evaluation trained preferred
Duties: Athletic trainer needed in busy industrial setting. Position would include clinical role in work hardening with functional assessments, program development, patient supervision and treatment. FCE trained and manual therapy skills preferred but not required for consideration of the position. Potential candidate wuold be working with a highly experienced clinical staff.
Additional Info: For more information about OAD orthopaedics please visit our website at: www.oadortho.com
Agnes Cassidy, PT
Industrial Rehabilitation Director
Please email resumes if possible.
Title: Clinical Sales Representative
Requirements: ATC, Highly Organized and personable individual who has good patient care experience.
Excellent communication skills a must...
Duties: Calling on physicians, ATC's, PT's, PA's, surgery centers, hospitals, etc to promote the DonJoy, Aircast and Procare product lines.
Area will include McHenry, Schaumburg, Elgin, Naperville, Arlington Heights areas.
Additional Info: Base Salary, bonus, car allowance, cell phone, healthcare benefits.
Contact Info: Please email your resume to Bill Buchanan at email@example.com or FAX it to 847.358.6179
Chicago Bears Youth Football Camps
Title: Athletic Trainer
Requirements: CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER JOBS WITH CHICAGO BEARS Certified Athletic Trainers will serve as Health Director and provide services for injury and illness prevention, assessment, compliance with local law and treatment.
Duties: The description features but is not limited to the following:
• Participate in a pre-camp orientation meeting.
• Be available and present during official camp operating hours.
• Provide pre-camp preparation with respect to community emergency information resources, key contacts numbers, facility resources, emergency action plans and unique customer medical information notes.
• Communicate with parents of campers that have unique medical issues, discuss issues.
• Provide first aid and medical care equipment commensurate to state law. Replenish as needed.
• Ensure first aid items and medical storage items are included and stored in accordance with local and state law.
• Observe camper readiness to participate in athletics.
• Manage medical waivers and information associated with children that bring medicine to camp.
• Stage site preparation in advance of camp activities (i.e. hydration stations, etc).
• Coordinate strategies related to weather issues with camp director.
• Provide for on-site recognition, evaluation and immediate treatment of illnesses and all injuries.
• Order, maintain and inventory supplies and clinical equipment.
• Submit injury reports as prescribed by camp management and state law.
• Manage lunch sessions, group interaction and issues related to food allergies.
• Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches and other team personnel.
• Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Additional Info: Athletic trainers and all participating coaches are accepted as independent contractors. An Independent Contract, General Information Request Form, proof of insurance, general interview(s), and authorization for us to run a criminal background check are all part of the hiring process.
Athletic trainers must have access to a car with valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
COMPENSATION: The athletic trainer will be paid $500 per week for a full day camp.
Contact Info: TO APPLY: Email a resume with three references to Tim Sullivan Email: Tim@ProSportsExperience.Com
Chicago Bears Youth Football Camps
213 N. Morgan
Chicago, IL 60607
Title: Athletic Trainer
Requirements: Growing Physical Therapy company in Chicago is looking for an Athletic Trainer to join it's team of professionals. Experience or interest in Ergonomics is preferred, as the position will include the assessment and treatment of individuals in the workplace to promote health and prevent injury. All interested applicants please forward their resumes and references to the provided email.
Additional Info: Add Information here regarding salary, benefits, description of institution, etc.
Contact Info: Please forward resumes and questions to:
Craig J. Mawdsley, PT, DPT, FAAOMPT
Champion Fitness Physcial Therapy
Title: Certified Athletic Trainer/Administrative Assistant
Requirements: Champion Fitness Physical Therapy, a leader in physical therapy services with clinics in fifteen Central Illinois locations, has immediate full-time opening in Champaign for a Certified Athletic Trainer.
Assist with treatments as established by the physical therapist evaluation and plan of care. Aid patients in therapeutic regimen and adapt conventional physical therapy techniques to meet the individual needs of each patient.
Perform other duties as assigned by the consulting therapist.
Additional Info: Qualified candidates must possess strong clinical skills with potential for leadership roles, flexibility, and independence. Champion Fitness offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Contact Info: For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax resumes to 815/844-5318. EOE.
Title: Sales Representative - Far Northewest Suburbs (McHenry, Schaumburg, Elgin)
Requirements: Looking for an ATC with at least 2,500 hours (1-2 years) of documented clinical experience following graduation.
Duties: Calling on orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, hospitals, surgery centers, PT centers, high schools, etc. This position requires excellen
t people skills, and a great deal of organization. This position also requires good business acumen with knowledge/experience in the use of Excel.
Due to the high service level, having someone who lives in/close to the territory is a must. Contacts with any to the above customers within this territory is a huge plus.
Additional Info: Salary, Health Insurance, Bonus Potential. We have 4 Athletic Trainers our team so we have good references. Position needs to be filled by January 1st of 2010.
Contact Info: Please email resumes to:
Advanced Physicians, SC
Title: Athletic Trainer/ Marketing - full-time
Requirements: Minimum of a Bachelor's degree NATABOC Certification at time of employment Current CPR certification Illinois state licensure (submitted if recently BOC certified) at time of employment Ability to organize and effectively set priorities Excellent interpersonal and
communication skills to effectively interact with a diverse patient population and other medical personnel Ability to manage time effectively Enthusiastic about athletic care Excellent motivation to achieve personal and professional goals Ability to understand and communicate
effectively in English both oral and written Knowledge of medical terminology appropriate to the responsibilities of the job Ability to maintain a dependable schedule for work hours, to include nights and weekends Ability to publically speak
Duties: The athletic trainer will have professional involvement in the comprehensive medical care of athletes and physically active individuals.
The athletic trainer will recognize and assess athletic injuries, perform evaluations, rehabilitate athletic injuries, provide injury prevention education,
sports safety, emergency care, and management of practices, games, screenings and events. Practice and games will include but not limited to: football, lacrosse and rugby of all ages.
The athletic trainer will also be responsible for working with the marketing department. This allows the athletic trainer independence to develop relationships in the community. This is an opportunity for individuals who wish to further develop their professional skills.
Additional Info: Advanced Physicians, SC is a multidisciplinary group with Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Chiropractors and Medial Doctors.
Advanced Physicians, SC offers competitive wages. We are looking for an Athletic Trainer to begin immediately.
Contact Info: Please contact Lyndsy Andrews at 708-207-4790 for further information
. Please e-mail resumes to: email@example.com. Please include three references.
Advocate Condell Medical Center - High School Coverage
Title: Arthletic Trainer - On Call
Requirements: NATA certified and Illinois registered
Duties: Perform Athletic Trainer duties at one of our contracted schools on an on call basis to provide extra coverage for vacation and additonal event coverage.
Additional Info: Competitive hourly rate and potential full time employment
Contact Info: Pleasesend recume to Steve Aull at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Health & Sport Institute at Anytime Fitness
Title: Part Time Athletic Trainer
Requirements: State Licensed Athletic Trainer, Certified TPI golf fitness or ability to become certified, Certified NASM or equivalent certification. Must have a strong desire for personal training. Sales required. Flexible schedule required.
Duties: Non traditional role in a private fitness club. Duties include membership sales, marketing, personal training, sports performance training, athletic training coverage.
Provide ATC coverage for local college.
Additional Info: Part Time position, hours vary from 15-20 per week, hours can increase based on number of clients. Pay range $18-$20 per hour, potential to make more with personal training. Free fitness membership.
Potential for advancement in hours and facility management.
Contact Info: Rick Noelte, ATC
28972 W IL RT 120
Lakemoor, IL 60051